Wednesday, November 12, 2008

To be or not to be--that is the question

I've decided I like tragedies... even if there's death. Call me morbid, if you will, but I like them.

I used to consider myself a fairy tale lover. I loved my happy endings, and if a movie or book didn't have it, well, then it wasn't worth reading. Or, perhaps, that ending better be changed ASAP.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still like happy endings, but I am learning to enjoy tragedies. As you probably know, I am taking a Shakespeare class (which I love--even after ~400 years it is still applicable to our lives), and we just started studying Hamlet (which I have studied before). Suddenly, like a bolt of lightning, it hit me... I like tragedies. Especially compared to Shakespeare's comedies, there is so much more depth of character. Hamlet is just so... human. His inner turmoil is quite understandable. To feel and empathize with the characters can be healing. Of course, the tragedy must be written or acted well.

In life, there are often not happy endings. Of course, there is a happy ending after we die, but life is full of trials and challenges that often do not go the way we want them.

I do not need a happy ending anymore. I still enjoy happy endings, but there is nothing wrong with a disappointing and thought-provoking ending either.

p.s. This does not apply to my life... I want a happy ending.

No comments: