Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sweet Home Alabama

That reminds me of my very first Sunday at BYU... Middle of Relief Society and my phone goes off: "Sweet home Alabama..." It was awkward. I didn't even know the caller. Lame. But it is a great story.


So I got work off the first two weeks of August (I work at the Creamery on 9th... in case you didn't know), and I headed home. However, this time I brought two people with me... Anthony and my 8-year-old cousin Brynna.

First off, that provided funny experiences at the airport. I will let you use your imagination...

We had a blast of course. We rock climbed, ate real Southern barbeque in a real Southern manner (put sauce, beans, and coleslaw on top of the pork on a bun b/c it makes it more moist), swam, ate good home-cooked meals, saw my sister perform in "the King and I," saw my brother's soccer games, met people..., and played lots of games of course.

Anthony and I taught my family how to play Hand and Foot. My family taught Anthony how to play Five Crowns, Perudo, TransEuropa, Killer Uno, Chicken Feet (a dominoes game), among others.

Perudo was definitely the fave of the trip--It's a liar dice game. Everyone has their own set of 5 dice and a cup. After shaking your dice, you keep your dice hidden from everyone else and bet on how many of a particular number have been rolled. Highly recommended.

There were a lot of people who wanted to see me. Actually they really just wanted to meet Anthony. ha

My aunt and her 5 little kids came to visit for a couple days. That was fun... and crazy. My cousins liked to call Anthony their "future cousin." They liked him... obviously. They teased us a lot. ("Do you kiss him????")

My family liked Anthony a lot. (Who doesn't?) I think my mom feels a lot better having met him now. Fortunately, she had heard good things about Anthony from my extended family who he has met. Now my parents know firsthand that Anthony is a really good guy who treats me well. My mom especially got a kick out of Anthony and I when we teased each other, especially when he teased me... Even Kyle liked Anthony. I think Anthony earned bonus points with him for teasing me. Kyle (Mr. Fashion Conscious) had only one complaint--Anthony wore jean shorts.

I don't know why I am using past tense. My family still likes Anthony. Both my family and Anthony still exist. No worries there.

Anthony enjoyed meeting my family. After all, when you meet someone's family, you understand him or her a little bit better. Anthony claims I act a little differently with my family. My family and I tease each other quite a bit, and I hold my own quite well--Anthony enjoyed it. Except with my dad. I always lose with my dad.

So, the second day we were home, we went rock climbing and had to take two cars for the 1.5 hour drive. Boys rode in one car and girls in another. It was my dad's suggestion. Anthony survived though... happily even. I would have killed Anthony if he had done that to me. Grant it, I met his family after we had been dating for only two weeks. Slightly different... (We now call the beginning of our relationship our "shaky stage." haha I was... umm... flippant...)

My family hits the sack at a decent hour. So, Anthony and I had some good late night chats too...

Then Anthony left. And it was sad. We spent nearly a week apart. But he brought me flowers. And bought me chocolate.

That's all. Kinda random and rambly. And long. Hopefully this appeased any burning questions within you. Probably not... but this is all you get on the Internet. ;)

1 comment:

jenn said...

...late night chats about what?? More details, I demand more details! haha just kidding. but seriously...it sounds like a great time and i'm glad everyone likes everyone. i'm just left with one burning question about if anthony will be a "future cousin" like they said...hmmm? anyways thanks for the update!