Thursday, April 30, 2009

A theological post

I am taking Rel C 351 Survey of World Religions from Brother Gaskill, and I am freakin' excited!

First of all, Brother Gaskill is quite entertaining and extremely sarcastic. It will prove to be an interesting class.

Secondly, I am looking forward to expanding my horizons. Many Mormons fail to respect and understand other religions, and I am glad I will not longer be one of them. (I never disrespected them, but I am definitely going to gain an unbiased understanding of them.) I would love to simply type up all of the benefits, but I won't bore you.

This class will give me much food for thought. My first class ended with the following question:

Does God want all people to be "Mormons"?

My immediate response was... of course! However, I soon realized this may not be so...

What about Mother Theresa? She probably could have not have had such a far-reaching influence as an LDS Relief Society president. God has used and inspired many nonmormons.

Why will there be so many who pass through this life without becoming "mormon?"

The general consensus of the conversation was that the Lord is in control. He knows what He is doing. God wants all of his children to be exalted and knows what each needs to reach exaltation. Everyone becoming "mormon" during this mortal life might not be His plan. If it was, He probably would have set up missionary work a little differently. Living a righteous life according to your beliefs and knowledge is much more important. I would rather be a devout Catholic than an inactive "mormon." Many good people will readily accept the gospel in the Spirit World instead.

I am grateful, however, to be a member of the LDS church. The knowledge I have brings me closer to the Savior and brings peace and happiness to my life.

1 comment:

jenn said...

that is a good philosophical question...sounds like a nifty class!