Monday, January 12, 2009

Marissa, the El Eder???

Well, I have officially started the elementary education program, a lifelong goal. (Okay, actually the goal is to become a teacher, but ya know...) I loved elementary school and had great teachers, and pretty much ever since then I wanted to be a teacher. Even once I was in the music program, I debated about whether I wanted to teach a regular classroom or music. Academic subjects were easier for me, and I wanted to continually work with the same 20 kids. However, the elementary music education program slowly molded and redirected my passions. Recently, I decided that yes, I am in fact going to teach music. I love it.

Now in the elementary education program, I just feel different than everyone else. First of all, I doubt half of them are really that passionate about teaching kids. But, ah, such is life, I guess. Second of all, I feel older and wiser than them. Yes, even though half of them are married. Partly because I basically just finished the music education program--I know a fair amount about education. And, I am 1-2 years older than them. Thirdly, I believe in the importance of a well-rounded education, including the arts. Not all of them do.

Something is wrong in the public school system today. Why are some kids at-risk? The traditional school setting and teaching methods are obviously not working for all children. I mean, "Hello!" we are all different and different methods need to be applied. Children need to gain experiences and not just digest a bunch of inapplicable facts.
I believe and in fact, I know, that pushing arts out of the schools and viewing them merely as a "frill" is part of this problem. Some children may learn concepts better through the arts--you would be surprised at how much music can teach you. You can develop many different skills while studying music--physical,emotional, volitional, social, and even mental. (If you don't believe me, I'll send you the 16 page research paper I wrote last semester.) Some kids may simply need music as an outlet and a source of pleasure in school.
Anyways, today's school system and people's disregard of the arts drives me nuts. Period. The next 2 years in the elementary education program could prove quite interesting...

Also, I have discovered a pet peeve: pessimism. This is not directed at y'all (namely, Meagan and Jenn) but to classmates. Venting with close friends is quite different than negative comments from people you don't even know. There are people griping and complaining in some of my classes about the structure and layout of a couple classes. Honestly, the teachers have a heck of a lot more experience than them. I think they know how to educate future teachers. (Even if they don't, they are typically under someone else, who designed the syllabus). Plus, there is nothing you can do to change the structure and format of the class. Focus on the positive stuff. If it bothers you... drop the class.

1 comment:

Meagan said...

Your passion will help you become a great teacher. Some of my favorite memories in elementary school are when I was in the "shows". One year my grade got to do the Christmas program and it was all about how Santa and the elves were going to save Christmas in Branson, Missouri. I had a part. All the elves were country star names but one elf was the first name and one elf was the second name. I was Garth, as in Garth Brooks. I thought I was so cool. Peace.