Sunday, March 22, 2009

My ears! My ears!

Well, I have definitely become a choir snob. I can't help it. The past 3 years of music theory, music history, choir, and voice lessons have trained me well. HEAR. THIS. PITCH. and MUST. BE. IN. TUNE.

Consequently, church choirs on many levels often drive me nuts. I sit there and try and remind myself to not judge. They are singing with feeling. Don't analyze them. God doesn't care--Their singing is just as acceptable as in-tune singing.

However, I CAN'T HELP IT! I just really appreciate in-tune choirs with singers who have breath support. Out of tune singing can really disrupt the experience. Magical things happen when choirs are exactly in tune.... literally. You probably have no idea...

Disclaimer: I am not claiming I always sing in tune because I don't. This also is irrelevant to the fact I have not sung in a ward choir or stake choir this past year (actually I did once). I just have too much other stuff on my plate on Sundays. Plus, I like a break from choir.

2 comments:

Meagan said...

You are a snob. That's why I don't sing around you.

Maris said...

geez.. thanks, meagan. you know just how to make a girl feel better.